Egypt’s general prosecutor will be appealing against the sentences handed down in the trials of several police officials who served under Hosni Mubarak, state media and sources say.
Mubarak, the former president who was ousted by a popular uprising last year, and his former interior minister were sentenced to life in prison for failing to stop the killing of more than 800 people during a police crackdown on the protests.
Gamal and Alaa, the former leader’s sons, however, were acquitted on corruption charges, as were six police commanders on charges related to the killing of protesters. Mubarak was also acquitted on corruption charges.
“The state prosecutor has ordered the start of the appeals procedure,” a source in his office told the AFP news agency.
The Nile News channel also carried the prosecutor’s decision in a short screen caption, but did not provide further details.
Al Jazeera’s Mike Hanna, reporting from Cairo, confirmed that travel bans on the six officials, in place since the trial first began last February, have been renewed.
Protests across country
The verdicts sparked protests across the country, with several thousand angry demonstrators gathering in Cairo’s Tahrir Square, Alexandria, Suez and other cities.
Tahrir Square finally fell quiet after a night of protests, but crowds were expected to return later to express frustration amid fears for Egypt’s stalling revolution.
A few hundred protesters continued to demonstrate on Sunday, after up to 10,000 people had converged on the birthplace of the uprising against Hosni Mubarak’s regime the night before.
Al Jazeera’s Sherine Tadros, reporting from Cairo, said most of the protesters started clearing out shortly after midnight.
“There are more protests and demonstrations planned for Sunday, starting around sunset when the weather gets a bit cooler,” said Tadros.