An Afghan police intelligence officer has been named as the chief suspect in Saturday’s shooting of two ISAF military advisers in Kabul’s interior ministry.
In a statement issued on Sunday, the Afghan ministry of interior named 25-year-old Abdul Saboor as a suspect in the killings of two high-ranking American advisers at close range.
“An employee has been identified as a suspect and he has now fled. The interior ministry is trying to arrest the suspected individual,” it said in a statement.
|AFGHAN PROTESTS LIVE BLOG|
Also on Sunday, seven US military trainers were wounded when protesters in Kunduz in northern Afghanistan threw a grenade at a forward operating base, provincial police chief Samihullah Qatra said.
NATO’s International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) confirmed there had been an explosion outside one of its bases, but declined to comment on casualties.
Police sources told Al Jazeera that two Afghans were killed, six others injured and one police officer was injured in the small arms fire that followed the grenade blast.
According to Afghan media sources, Saboor, the intelligence officer, was also known as Salangi, and was given a pistol as recently as last week after being cleared by the operation directorate of the interior ministry.
Official sources said Salangi had signed into the high security ministry on both Saturday morning and afternoon.(more of the article)